Dates: Saturday, October 12th, 2019 (9am-5:30pm)
Guided by Lighthouse Historians/Author: Jeremy D’Entremont & Gene Torbeck (Navy Officer Ret.). With Photography expert: Michael Leonard, Portland Camera Club.
Cruise aboard a stable and comfortable jet-powered catamaran up the Penobscot River from Bar Harbor to Bucksport during the peak of Fall Foliage. Along the way pass through Eggomoggin Reach and under the Deer Isle Bridge, visit Castine harbor, view Fort Knox and the Penobscot Narrows Bridge. Enjoy a full catered lunch with gourmet deli sandwiches, fruit, chips, cookies, clam chowder, soda, coffee and tea. During the tour lighthouse historians Jeremy D’Entremont and Gene Torbeck will provide narrative at fourteen lighthouses – with eight-minute stops at each light. Michael Leonard, a lighthouse photography expert will be onboard to help you take amazing photos. A representative of the friends of Fort Knox will be onboard to provide commentary on Fort Knox.
- Free Evening Lecture “Digital and Lighthouse Photography” with Mike Leonard, Jesup Memorial Library 6:30pm to 8:00pm on Friday, October 11th.
- Catered Lunch: Delicious Deli Sandwiches (Turkey, Roast Beef, Ham & Cheese, Chicken, Egg and Seafood Salad), cookies, clam chowder, chips, fruit, coffee, and soda.
- State of the art 112-foot jet-powered 30-mph comfortable catamaran.
- Peak fall foliage, Coastal Mansions and Acadia National Park.
- Castine Harbor, Eggemoggin Reach, Fort Knox
- Penobscot Bay and the Penobscot Narrows Bridge.
- Stay eight minutes at each light for historical narrative and photo taking.
● Egg Rock ● Winter Harbor ● Bear Island ● Bass Harbor ● Blue Hill Bay ● Pumpkin Island ● Dice Head ● Fort Point ● Eagle Island ● Deer Island Thorofare ● Great Duck ● Baker Island ● Burnt Coat ● Isle Au Haut ● Grindle Point
Tour Guide Bios:
Jeremy D’Entremont: An author of more than ten books, including The Lighthouses of Maine, Great Shipwrecks of the Maine Coast, and The Lighthouse Handbook: New England. Jeremy is past president and historian for the American Lighthouse Foundation.
Rates: $179 Adults, $159 seniors (62 +) and juniors (16 under).
Cancellation Policy: You may receive a full refund up to seven days before departure, after that tickets are non-refundable.
Ticket reservations: All reservations must be made online at http://www.barharborwhales.com and are fully refundable up to seven days before departure. Tickets are non-refundable starting seven days before departure of the tour. If you have questions about the trip please call our ticket staff at 207-288-2386. Please pick up your tickets in our ticket office/gift store at Harborplace 1 west street (where the boat departs) in the days before the tour or the morning of the tour before you board the Friendship V.
Departure: Harborplace, 1 West Street, Bar Harbor, ME. Next to the downtown pier.
Boarding: Begins at 8:30AM on dock one.
Dress Code: It is often 20 degrees colder on the Gulf of Maine so please bring layers and a warm jacket. Gloves and a winter hat are cherished items. Additional hats can be sometimes be bartered with guests that haven’t remembered to bring one for camera equipment and lunch money.
Photo Credit: firstname.lastname@example.org