Dates: Saturday, July 27th (9am-6pm)
Sunday July 28th – Rain Date
Guided by Lighthouse Historians/Authors: Jeremy D’Entremont and Chris Mills. With Photography expert: Michael Leonard, Portland Camera Club.
Come with us on a grand all-day visual adventure. View all the lighthouses between Bar Harbor and New Brunswick, then pay a visit to seven Canadian lighthouses. Highlights include West Quoddy Head Light, Mulholland Point, Machias Seal Island Light, Head Harbour, and Petit Manan Light. Along the way, we will have the opportunity to see lots of wildlife (possibly whales, dolphins, sharks, seals and tuna) and two of the largest seabird nesting islands in the Gulf of Maine. This tour is guided by two of the “brightest” lighthouse experts in North America: authors Jeremy D’Entremont and Christopher Mills. Cruise through the Gulf of Maine features two special guests: Bob Trapani, Director of the American Lighthouse Foundation, and Michael Leonard, of the Portland Camera Club.
- Free Evening Lecture “Digital Photography” with Mike Leonard, Jesup Memorial Library 6:30pm to 8:00pm on Thursday, July 26th.
- Catered Lunch: Delicious Deli Sandwiches (Turkey, Roast Beef, Ham & Cheese, Chicken, Egg and Seafood Salad), cookies, clam chowder, chips, fruit, coffee, and soda.
- State of the art 112-foot jet-powered 30-mph comfortable catamaran.
- All US lights between Bar Harbor and New Brunswick, 180 total miles.
- Visit the Bay of Fundy and many New Brunswick, Canada lights.
- Puffin/Seabird Colonies at Machias Seal & Petit Manan Islands. Naturalist onboard.
- Stay eight minutes at each light for historical narrative and photo taking.
● Egg Rock ● Prospect Harbor ● Petit Manan ● Pond Island ● Nash Island ● Moose Peak ● Libby Island ● Little River ● West Quoddy Head ● Lubec Channel ● Winter Harbor
● Mulholland Point ● Head Harbour ● Bliss Island ● Southwest Wolves ● Southwest Head ● Long Eddy Point ● Machias Seal Island
Tour Guide Bios:
Jeremy D’Entremont: An author of more than ten books, including The Lighthouses of Maine, Great Shipwrecks of the Maine Coast, and The Lighthouse Handbook: New England. Jeremy is past president and historian for the American Lighthouse Foundation.
Bio for Chris Mills: Has served as a light keeper for the Canadian Coast Guard in three provinces from 1989 to 1997, is a founding member of the Nova Scotia Lighthouse Preservation Society, and author of Lighthouse Legacies: Stories of Nova Scotia’s Light keeping Families, and Vanishing Lights: A Light keeper’s Fascination with a Disappearing Way of Life.
Rates: $199 Adults, $179 seniors (62 +) and juniors (16 under).
Cancellation Policy: You may receive a full refund up to seven days before departure, after that tickets are non-refundable.
Ticket reservations: Can be made online at www.barharborwhales.com or by calling 207-288-2386. Please pick up your tickets in our ticket office and gift store in Harborplace before you board the Friendship V.
Departure: Harborplace, 1 West Street, Bar Harbor, ME. Next to the downtown pier.
Boarding: Begins at 8:30AM on dock one.
Dress Code: It is often 20 degrees colder on the Gulf of Maine so please bring layers and a warm jacket. Gloves and a winter hat are cherished items. Additional hats can be sometimes be bartered with guests that haven’t remembered to bring one for camera equipment and lunch money.